Monday, June 9, 2014

first time eating lambs quarters

First time trying lambs quarters! (Chenopium album)

  source: http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?2,153920,153989 

    For the first time, I tried lambs quarters. I have been living with this weed in my garden since I was born, and had even glanced over it in all of my foraging books, but I had never associated this edible goodness with the horrid weed. however, one day, it clicked. I was looking through a field guide, in my front yard, and came across lambs quarters in the guide. It suddenly occurred to me that this might be the obnoxious weed that I had seen my entire life. I however did not harvest any and dismissed it to do another time.
    About a week later, my dad had been looking through my books and recognized it. This gave me the driving force to harvest some, and prepare it. My aunts 30th birthday was coming up, so I figured I would make a dish with it. I simply steamed it, put a little butter and salt on it, and put it out. I tried some, but it was gone in under five minutes. It was one of the most successful wild food dishes that I had ever served at a party.
    Since then I have been looking for a chance to make it again. I have not had a chance, but I loved what I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment