Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Numerous Wild Edibles

              The Numerous Wild edibles

  
  I had always realized there were a lot of wild edibles out there, but I didn't realize how many until a few friends challenged me to see how many wild edible plants I could identify on the way home from the pizza parlor. I got some challenges to identify 15-20 plants. I surprised myself by identifying over 50 edible plants. Over the span of two blocks, there is enough food to feed the whole neighborhood. I wish the knowledge of foraging was more well known. My hope is if as many people as possible start foraging we would become more self-conscious about the food that surrounds us all.
       For this to happen we also need to spread the news that wild edibles are not rare. As I demonstrated earlier they are very plentiful, and most of them are very easy to identify. Wild food goes beyond dandelions and wood sorrel, no matter how great tasting they are. I hope you all good foraging!
                           
                                                                                                 Showing the abundance of milkweed.    
                                                                                        source:http://66squarefeet.blogspot.com/2012/04/dead-horse-bounty.html

2 comments:

  1. It would be really cool if you documented all of the plants that you found into a sort of field guide of plants that you found around your house. I know it would probably take a while but it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete